A few days ago I joined the amigurumi online course that begins next month and who’s teacher is Gemma from Wasel Wasel, the course is already full but if you’re interested stay tuned because there will be more issues and certainly it is going to be great. As I have no idea of making amigurumi, before taking the course I decided to try this Tiger knitting set for children (if children can do it I can do it too) with which you can make knitted figures. It is suitable for children from 5 years, the little ones would need parental help but is easy to do. It is also very well priced, I think it cost 4 euros and includes stuff for making at least four fruits.
The kit comes with two circular looms (Aztec type), a plastic tricotin, two wool needles, 2 hooks, filling for the figures, 6 mini yarns of various colors and a wire. For those who do not have Tiger around, you can get a loom online or even I’ve heard that you can buy it at local stores. If you are skillful enough you can follow some internet tutorials on how to make your own loom.
I will explain how to make a wool fruit:
1. Choose a thread and leave about 15 centimeters of it in the center, walk around the loom in zigzags every two nails.
2. Give another turn at the loom in clockwise direction and using the hook put above the lower thread every two nails.
3. Then repeat passing each loop over the nails with the aid of the hook until the wire length that does not allow another turn.
4. When we have finished all rounds, with the wool needle pass the thread alternately up and down for each loop of the loom. Once this is done we can get the work of the loom without fear.
5. Using the wool needle close one end of the tube we have already made.
6. Place the filling inside the tube on the side that we left open and close also this end using needle and the thread that we had left at first.
7. Finally to make the tail roll up wool of another color on a piece of wire and stick it in the filling of the figure.